Date: May 06, 2017
Time: 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Teams of two riders will race to reach 4 of 5 checkpoints, in any order, and return to the start/finish in the least amount of time. Checkpoint locations will remain secret until start-time and there is no suggested route. Routes will vary between 50-80 miles, will include 9,000-15,000 feet of climbing, and should take 7-14 hours to complete.
REGISTRATION OPENS – 10:00AM January 13, 2017
The Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventure Race (PMBAR) will be held deep in the Pisgah National Forest, one of the most beautiful, rugged, and unforgiving areas in the nation. There will be little to no water or food support on course. Once you leave the start/finish you are on your own. There will be no drops, sag wagons, or other outside support available. Be prepared for any circumstances you may encounter including, but not limited to: medical emergencies, navigational errors, inoperable equipment, wild animals, and stinging/poisonous insects and plants.
Schedule of Events:
5:00PM-10:00PM Friday – Sign-in open.
5:30AM-7:30AM Saturday – Sign-in open.
7:45AM Saturday – Racer meeting.
8:00AM Saturday – Race start.
2:00PM Saturday – Raffle drawing (you do not need to be present to win).
10:00PM May 2. – Race cutoff.
1. Have Fun!
2. Team members must stay together at all times during the event.
3. Teams must have their bikes and all other required gear at all times during the event.
4. Approved cycling helmets must be worn at all times while riding in the event.
5. Teams must reach 4 of 5 checkpoints to finish.
6. Teams that reach 5 of 5 checkpoints will receive a time bonus.
7. There will be random gear-checks on-course. Teams will receive a time penalty for each piece of missing required-gear.
8. Teams may reach checkpoints in any order.
9. The team with the lowest overall time (after time bonuses and penalties) wins.
10. USE of OFF-MAP and HIKING-ONLY trails is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
11. In addition the following ROADS are OFF-LIMITS:
a. NC276 to/from FS1206/Blue Ridge Parkway
b. NC276 to/from FS475B/FS475 (Looking Glass Falls area)
c. NC276 to/from FS477(South End)/NC280
d. Blue Ridge Parkway
12. NO BUSHWHACKING.
13. The Race Director reserves the right to disqualify teams for any reason deemed by race officials as unsportsmanlike or otherwise against the spirit of the event.
14. Electric-Assist bikes (E-Bikes) are prohibited.
15. Rule infractions witnessed by Race Officials will result in disqualification.
16. Rule infractions NOT witnessed by Race Officials must be reported by members of TWO SEPARATE teams to be considered.
17. Protest period ends 30 minutes after the final team returns or 10:30PM Saturday, whichever comes first.
18. SIGN-IN and RETURN YOUR TIMING CHIP upon completion of the event (Please, this includes DNF teams). Additional charges will apply to teams that do not return their timing chip.
Venue:In the field directly across NC276 from Davidson River Campground in Pisgah Forest, NC.
From Asheville, North Carolina, take I-40 West to I-26 East to Exit 40 (Airport Road/Asheville Regional Airport), onto State Highway 280. Continue south 15.5 miles on 280 to Pisgah National Forest. Turn right at the intersection of Highway 280/64/276. Go north on 276 for 1 mile. Follow signs to Davidson River campground.
From Spartanburg, South Carolina, take I-26 West to Exit 40 (Airport Road/Asheville Regional Airport), onto State Highway 280. Continue south 15.5 miles on 280 to Pisgah National Forest. Turn right at the intersection of Highway 280/64/276. Go north on 276 for 1 mile. Follow signs to Davidson River campground.
From Charlotte, North Carolina, take I-85 South to Gastonia and exit at U.S. Highway 74 West. Merge with I-26 West to Exit 40 (Airport Road/Asheville Regional Airport), onto State Highway 280. Continue south 15.5 miles on 280 to Pisgah National Forest. Turn right at the intersection of Highway 280/64/276. Go north on 276 for 1 mile. Follow signs to Davidson River campground.
GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
1. PLEASE DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE EXTREME DIFFICULTY OF THIS EVENT.
2. We have very limited parking. Please consider leaving your car someplace other than the start/finish. For example, there are a few very large lots at the intersection of NC276 and NC280. We will also be directing half of all vehicles that arrive to the Ranger Station. Please be prepared for that possibility. Please show up early.
3. We will be selling raffle tickets (2 for $5) good for a chance at winning a set of Industry Nine Torch WHEELSET. All proceeds will be donated to PISGAH AREA SORBA. Please bring cash or checks.
4. All gravel roads used in the Pisgah Mountain Bike Adventure Race will be OPEN to vehicle traffic. Please use common sense while on gravel roads. Stay to the right. Do not cut corners. Pass with care. Ride single file.
- Helmet. (1 per racer)~~~Racers must wear helmets ANY TIME they are riding their bikes. Uphill, Downhill, Gravel Road or Pavement. Racers not wearing a helmet while riding will be DQ’d.
- Rain Jacket (1 per racer)~~~ (Plastic Trash bag doesn’t count as a Jacket) Even if it’s 70 degrees and sunny, don’t mess around. I don’t expect anyone to spend the night in the woods… but if you do, you’ll want a jacket. I promise.
- Water Filter or Iodine (1 per team) ~~~ For the sake of your stomach, and those that will be around you after the race, DO NOT DRINK DIRECTLY FROM RIVERS OR CREEKS.
- Emergency blanket (1 per racer)
- Timepiece (1 per team) Watch, cycling computer, telephone, any device with the correct time.
- First Aid Kit w/ Gauze, Tape, Ace Bandage, etc. (1 per team)~~~ Be prepared for anything!
- Whistle (1 per racer)
- Lighter (1 per team)~~~ see #2
- Compass or GPS unit (1 per team)~~~ What good is a map without a compass?
- Red ‘Blinkie’ rear light (1 per racer)~~~ Riders must burn a tail-light anytime they are on pavement or gravel roads, day or night
- Emergency Light Source (Flashlight, LED, etc.) (1 per racer)~~~ There is a good chance your team will be arriving at the start/finish after dark. Bring appropriate lighting to get off the trail
- Pisgah Map. (1 per team) We will use the Pisgah Map Company, South Pisgah, 4th edition map for all trail names, off-map vs. on-map trails, and for all protests. We recommend you either have this map or are very familiar with the difference between it and your Pisgah map.
The Sunset Motel
Davidson River Campground
Hampton Inn Brevard
Holiday Inn Express Brevard
Sorry, No refunds.
This event is under special use permit with the U.S. Forest Service.